Ever since I got another office job and seriously took up regular running (about a year ago), Iâ€™ve gained 5-10 pounds that will not budge (and no, it’s not muscle. I wish). Running makes you hungry. So hungry. Iâ€™ve tried a number of things over the past year to jump start the weight loss, and my current fitness routine sounds like something that the old me from a year ago would probably have mocked relentlessly.
- Running several times per week (wait, why am I not skinny yet?)
- Gymming (nothing new here)
- Calorie counting (strangely addictive for an Excel addict)
- Biking to work (a given)
- Measuring calorie expenditure with a heart rate monitor and FitBit (Also addictive)
- Cutting back on alcohol (0_0)
- Strength training (LIFT HEAVY)
- Yoga (it’s nice to do it again)
- Zumba (Suburban mom joke- NO! FUN!)
- Insanity (in small doses)
- Organic Grass Fed Protein powder!
When I look back at this list, it makes me laugh. Together, it all looks a bit overwhelming and extreme, but it happened bit by bit, and it’s now just a part of my life. My weight has gone up and down throughout this process, but thankfully my fitness level continues to progress. In fact, about a month ago I hit a personal fitness milestone! I ran 7 miles on my weekend long run. And I didn’t even hurt the next day! INCONCEIVABLE! While I’ve run that distance before, that was years ago, and damn it hurt hard the day after. Something about hitting that milestone made me think, hey, maybe I could run a half marathon? And so I signed up for oneÂ to run with my friend Michelle. I cobbled together a personal training plan in Google Calendar, and currently I’m on Week 6 of a 20 Week training plan. I’ve got a couple of goals:
- Don’t get hurt
- Lose these stubborn adult pounds.
- Get a decent photo at the half marathon. My photo at the Chinese New Year’s 5k was like a bigfoot spotting.
Six weeks in, 3 lbs & 2% bodyfat down and so far no injuries! So far so good. I highly doubt that I’ll be updating much with training news. IÂ just wanted to share what I’ve been up to lately.
Fitness! Fat! Running away from death! Whoo!
Also, I don’t know how those fitness Instagrammers look all hot when they take workout selfies, but this is what I look like. Red faced, angry, drenched in sweat and my eyes are burning from melting sunscreen in my eyes! Why do I like running again?